Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bus Ride


Yesterday, Steve and I went on a city bus. I have only been on a handful of buses here, so it is always a bit scary for me. I watch buses all the time and it seems they don't always stop completely for people to get on and off. They also look very crowded, with bodies hanging off the outside of a bus. So my fears are that I will have to jump off a moving bus or that I won't be able to get to the exit when my stop comes. Well this ride was good. Steve and I got on a completely stopped bus. We had to stand near the front because it was so crowded. I was standing against the wheel-well and Steve was my shield. People around us were polite, not squishing into us. No one touched me. No shoving. Some people tried to make sure we knew where our stop was by asking us where we were going and letting us know when it was the next one. When we came to our stop, the bus driver came to a complete stop and waited for us to get off before he started zooming off again. Actually, he stopped completely at each stop. No one had to run to get on. So for a fraction of the price of an auto rickshaw, we got home. No arguing over the price. I might not be ready to ride the bus alone, but with Steve it is a great option.

No comments: