Thursday, December 4, 2008

To fear or not to fear, that is the question

Today's newspaper reports that we are on the highest alert level for terrorist attacks in the city. The airports in India are preparing for attacks or hijackings. At least three air marshals are reported to be on each flight leaving the city. http://www.asianage.com/presentation/leftnavigation/news/top-story/airports-turn-into-fortresses.aspx

Last Sunday while I sat in church, instead of listening to the sermon, I was thinking about terrorist attacks at our church and what I would do. Outside our church we have two or three armed guards. I thought about a church in Pakistan that was attacked a few years ago and several people were killed. I don't mind being killed, but I don't want Micah to have to witness anything like that. So the kids go off to Sunday school. What if someone just attacked the Sunday school area? Oh boy. I am reminded again to "take every thought captive". And I tried to concentrate on the sermon and not on my terrorist thoughts.

So today again, with the thoughts of security in my mind, I try to still my mind and calm my heart. I picture myself in God's hands and find rest. I read Psalms 140 and pray along with David that God will rescue me from evil men and preserve me from violent men. Keep me Oh Lord, from the hands of the wicked.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I have been thinking about all of this too...about going to Goa...the train...the airport.

But in the end...fear does not come from the Lord...

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind" I Timothy, something....

I'll pray for spirit...you can pray for mine :).

Janet said...

ooops...I meant to say, I'll pray for YOUR spirit....

Growin' With It said...

wow leslie. even tho we catch wind of some of the things going on there, we are still so oblivious as we sit here in our comfy homes griping about the long holiday lines.

i give this verse to people over and over again and i really do know other verses, but this one has meant a TON to me the past couple of years.

isaiah 26:3

♥U

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

Thank you so much for the update and some specifics to pray for. Sure helps put life in perspective!!

linda in washougal said...

"I don't mind being killed, but I don't want Micah to have to witness anything like that."

And you thought (years ago) you never wanted to have kids. I'd say your momma's heart is beating strong. We pray for your family daily - physical safety being on the top of the list.