Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Black Magic

Yesterday, after aerobics, I was sitting around with the ladies drinking chai. Usha's husband has been sick for about a month now. She described him as being anxious and nervous all the time. So he just lays in bed when he is at home. So the ladies were discussing what was wrong with him. It was all in Hindi so I wasn't following completely. Then there was a word I didn't understand so I asked Hena what it meant. She told me, "Black Magic".

Usha is a Hindu. She has offered sacrifices for her husband's illness. She has asked me to pray for him. She has asked others too. So I asked Usha if she would like a man to come pray for her husband. She told me that she had already prayed for him. I said, "In Jesus' name though." And she told me that she had prayed in all names. So I left it at that.

Today I am thinking about it all again. So this morning, after aerobics again, I asked an English speaker to explain Black Magic more to me. She said that there are lots of types, curses that people put on others. She said that when she got married her in-laws took one of her outfits and did some sort of ritual to put a curse on her marriage. And ever since then she has had a bad marriage. She said that Usha thinks her husband is possessed with evil spirits. Either someone cursed him or it just happened. So now I wonder if it would be good to pray over him or not. I mean, if he isn't a believer in Jesus, what good would it do to cast out demons? More could come and harm him even further. So what should I do? Give me your thoughts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When Jesus and his followers prayed for people to be delivered from demons, they believed after experiencing the power of God. But I remember when we were trained in the Freedom in Christ materials that Neil Anderson it is best to lead people to Christ first and then they can claim their own freedom through renouncing all the junk. I don't like formulas so my advice would be to pray and see what the Holy Spirit might be saying in this situation...

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

I agree with Kristi that being covered in prayer and following the Lord's leading is the utmost important whatever it is you are doing. The first thought that came to me was that praying that the demons leave in Jesus name and presenting the gospel go hand in hand, whether it be for the benefit of the oppressed man or those around him. Please give us a follow up.

Troy and Kimberly said...

I agree with both comments, though wouldn't put off praying for his release from demons until he's saved.