Tuesday, December 2, 2008

First round of giving

OK, so God must be really trying to teach me about giving. Yesterday I listened to a sermon and it was also about giving. Random? I don't think so. I asked God to show me how to have joy and this seems to be what He wants to show me. So I share my giving with you not as a way to brag, but as a way to spur you on to greater giving and joy.

Last week I listed online all my gym equipment to sell. I would love to get some of our investment back out of it. On Sunday I met with a friend who lives in another part of India and she was asking about the equipment. She wanted to know how much because she is thinking about opening a gym for women. I told her that I wouldn't sell it to her, but I would love to give it to her. I am all for the benefit of the women and the chance for my friend to get to know the ladies better. She told me she would still need to think about it. The minute I walked in the door after meeting with my friend, the phone rang. It was a guy responding to my online ad. He was interested in buying the equipment. I would be so much happier to give it to my friend however. Funny how that is.

Then I thought of a car that we have that is being used by some friends. We have talked about selling it to them and they are open to buying it. However, again I feel prompted to give it without cost. So I told Steve this morning (who has already been open to giving it to them) that I am now wanting to just give it to them. And you know what? I feel good about it. I guess it is joy I feel. I feel like I am helping others and that makes me feel good.

As for the investment we made that we aren't getting money back from.... I really feel that the investment is deposited in heaven, where neither moth, dust or the bad economy can destroy.

3 comments:

linda in washougal said...

You've always been very giving and generous. You are an inspiration - gym equipment and cars are not small gifts. Way to go!

Growin' With It said...

i totally agree with linda. your heart is always right on when it comes to giving and blessing others. even with your friendship! ☺

i hope your joy OVERFLOWS!

btw...my friend steph is doing something similar along the lines for christmas. maybe not giving away tangible things, but joy to others. i think she'd love hearing about you.

http://therileyreview.blogspot.com/2008/11/countdown-to-christmas-challenge.html

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

How much sweeter the gift now that your heart is in it.