Friday, December 19, 2008

Shopping Woes

Today I ventured out to go Christmas shopping. I didn't think it would be so crowded if I went in the morning. Morning turned into afternoon when my househelp didn't show up on time. So I went to Khan Market, which is an expensive, but easy market. I had only a few things on my list which I thought would be easy to find in Khan Market.

I drove around trying to find parking and ended up on the side of the street close to a "no-parking" sign. There were other cars so I figured I was okay. A little old lady who sits on the side of the road started talking to me as I got out of my car. I thought she was saying, "Give me food" and she was waving a cup of chai at me. I shook my head and walked away. All the while thinking, "What was she saying?" Later it occurred to me that maybe she was warning me not to park there. Anyway, off I went for my shopping.

First stop was the Levi store. Steve mentioned yesterday that he would like a jean jacket, so what better place to look than the expensive Levi store in Khan Market. No jackets! I couldn't believe it. So I continued walking and decided I should take a peek at the car to make sure it wasn't getting towed. But there was no car. I was too embarrassed to show my face to the old lady. I decided to keep shopping and worry about the car later.

I called Steve to see if he had ever been towed from there and if he knew where the car would have been taken. But Khan market is one place we haven't been towed from before. So I ate lunch at McDonald's and tried to not think about the car. Finally I finished shopping and decided it was time to deal with the car.

I found a local police guy and tried to communicate that my car was towed. He finally understood and pointed me to the police stand. I made my way over there and the policeman flagged a down a auto rickshaw and explained to the driver where to take me. My car was the only one in the tow yard! I felt a little picked on. But still I was guilty. So I gladly paid my debt and drove my ashamed head home.

I don't feel like going shopping anymore. Too bad for Steve. Maybe I will make him a hat!

4 comments:

SoonerAggieMom said...

I found your blog from Growin With It. So sorry about your car. I hope the ticket wasn't expensive and hope you can locate a Levi's jacket soon.

Laura

linda in washougal said...

What a disappointing day. I can't help but laugh however as I picture you eating french fries and trying not to think about the fact that your car just got towed. :) Hats make great gifts, by the way!

Ms Creativity said...

Yes...just trying to ignore the problem usually does not work...so sad. I doubt the lady was telling you not to park there...they are usually not that courteous.

Do like the hat idea...See you in Goa?

Janet said...

I left the note signed by Ms. Creativy..someone used my computer and I did not know they signed in on it. That was a little too much weirdness for this early in the morning!