Sunday, February 2, 2014

Stumble

Today during our little family devotion time we were looking at Romans 14.  It talks about not judging and not putting a stumbling block in front of someone.  It always makes me think about drinking alcohol.  I am not a drinker.  I don't like the taste of any alcohol.  And I grew up in a home that didn't drink.  My parents might have a drink at a Mexican restaurant or maybe some wine at a friend's house, but I don't think they ever bought any alcohol to have at home.  I don't think it is a sin to drink, although getting drunk is wrong.

I have noticed that Christians are much more in to drinking now then they were 20 years ago.  It is not uncommon to have some wine at a Bible study, or to have your small group go out for beers or even meet in a pub for their study.  I always think about the person who struggles with alcohol and how they fit in to this group.  Are we putting a stumbling block in front of this person by glorifying our drinks?  I hear jokes about how the wine or beer will help calm the person down who has had a rough day/week.  Is that really what we want to encourage each other with?  I mean, shouldn't we be encouraging each other in the faith instead?  Again, there is nothing wrong with a glass of wine or a pint of beer in and of itself, but what is the message we are trying to encourage each other with?

Like I said, Romans 14 talks about judging also.  I don't want to be seen as judgmental here, but maybe suggesting we think through our actions a bit and the message we are communicating.  As we each run the race let's encourage each other to run for the price and to not get bogged down or stumble along the way.

No comments: