Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Weight

This is the time of year that many start worrying about their weight. Lots of goodies to eat and less sunlight to be outside in. I am thankful that I am not in America during this season so that I don't have to constantly be consumed by my weight. We just don't seem to have the temptations here that are there. Part of me misses all the parties and the food that goes with it, but the other part of me is happy to not have them.

So today I weighed myself. It has been two months since I have had the wonderful opportunity to step on the scale. I've been walking more and doing aerobics so I thought I would see a difference in the numbers. After two months the scale says I am .4 kg. less than I was two months ago. Notice the small point before the 4. If it was 4, without the point, I would be thrilled. You see, in America I gained 8 kg, so 4 would still only be half. But no, there is that small little dot before the 4.

This past year I have learned something about myself. I have never thought I was one to have a weight problem, but I do. It isn't that I gain or lose too much weight, but the scale can become an obsession. I want to see the numbers drop. And when they don't it can ruin at least part of my day. I don't just step off the scale and resume life as before. I dwell on it for a good part of the day. This is a problem.

So I make a new days resolution to not step on the scale for the rest of the year. I prefer to live in the ignorance of not knowing how much I weigh and whether I have lost, gained, or stayed the same.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Good for you...as long as you are healthy - eating your greens and exercising, really, who cares about your weight? Seriously!

I can say this cause I still have a spare tire on me thanks to Calvin (the three others before him probably didn't help much either).

Growin' With It said...

WAY to go sista. pushing 40 has helped me gain perspective in being healthy but not so worried about what i eat or how much i weigh. tough battle!

so i'm curious if you guys will do anything tomorrow for thanksgiving?

and love the new look btw. the photo of your cutie patootie on top is adorable. makes me think he's sayin' "yo man, whatsup"?!!

linda in washougal said...

.4 is so much better than -.4! I'm proud of you for giving up the scale. Maybe I'll take up the challenge too. Love your new blog look! Looks like you spent a lot of time on it! :)