Thursday, April 19, 2012

Weird or Just Different?

I try to tell myself that the things I find weird here in India are just different. I shouldn't find it weird or wrong. But there is one thing I just can't come to grips with. I haven't been able to find a reason for the way people write on walls, furniture, or anything within reach when there is a pen or pencil lying around. This has annoyed me for years. One time we had friends over and the teenage boy wrote on Micah's wall, "Micah room". And the other day I noticed that there is writing on the wall at the girls' home. I also caught a girl writing on the table. I told her that we don't do that here, we write on paper only. I've had people write on my sugar container lid, my table, my wall, my bookshelf, and my tablecloth. I have seen people write on their clothes, their walls, their shoes, or their bed. I can't make sense of it. I now make a point of hiding all our pens and pencils when our friends come over.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hum, I wonder why they do that. It does seem wierd, especially when they keep plastic on their seats and furniture to keep them nice . . . or maybe it's to keep the pen marks away.

Liz said...

This is actually an illness some people have, so maybe the whole country's infected with it.