Friday, April 1, 2011

Worst $4 Pedicure


Yesterday I and my friend Chrissy went to have an Indian experience of a pedicure. I had never gone to the local beauty parlor so I thought this would be a good chance to try it out and see how good it is.

We walked up to the very small shop and there were three ladies sitting outside on the massage table/bed thing. I asked if we could have pedicures and they started scrambling to help us. They had to clean off the chair on the inside of the shop and make room for another chair to be brought in. The day before, the shop had been painted with some strong smelling paint and everything was out of place. There were boxes of old supplies everywhere.

So we sat down while the ladies looked for buckets for our feet to go in. They dug through bags to find their files and soap. I really wanted to walk out and go somewhere else, but I hate making people feel bad by saying that their business is gross, so we stayed. We thought we would just get high off the paint and not care anyway.

The ladies had a small electric water heater, like to make two cups of water at a time. So they heated up water and poured it into our buckets. Then they added some cold water. Then they cut open a packet of shampoo and dumped that in the water. We didn't really soak our feet much, but they started taking off our old nail polish. The owner stood over the two ladies working on our feet and barked her orders, not knowing that I could understand her. She told them what to do like they had never done a pedicure before. Again I wanted to leave.

My feet were scrubbed first with a razor file. I thought for sure I would bleed. But even with all that scrubbing, my feet were not really that clean at the end. And then Chrissy got the same file, without it being cleaned off. So I figure if I have hepatitis that she will now get it too. I wonder how many people have had their dirty feet scrapped with that file. Anyway, probably not many because they did a lousy job. Our toes still have old polish on them.

Finally, my lady finished my feet and asked if I wanted anything else. I looked at my bare toes and said, "Color?" She hadn't painted my toes. So she searched through every bag and box in the very small room and wasn't able to find any nail polish. She yelled for the owner to tell her where the polish was, but she didn't know either. So the owner sent the girl to the store to buy a few bottles of polish. She brought back 5 for us to choose from. I chose red and Chrissy chose purple. We got one quick coat of paint and tried not to rush out of the place in disgust (but I wanted to).

Our feet don't look extremely nice, but we are probably the only ones who will notice. Soon we will re-polish our toes. And if I can find the card reader for my camera I will show you what the place looked like. Check back later for pictures of the worst $4 pedicure ever.

3 comments:

Troy and Kimberly said...

I think I am so grossed out I am done with pedicures in India - do you know the foot fungus people get from those unclean tools? Ugh!!!

Laura said...

You were right to guess 'pedicures' on my Two Truths and A Lie post Leslie. I'd want to run from that place too, but wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. Why are we like that?

Rebecca said...

I got the worst fungus and ingrown toenail from how the cut my nails at a place in India that it's taken me more than 2 years to have the nerve to get a pedicure in the states.