Monday, April 4, 2011

Boaz

I am reading a book (that is on my bedside table and I am too lazy to get up to look at the title) about 4 women from the Bible. One is Rahab that prostitute who hid the spies of Jericho. I also just recently listened to a sermon on Ruth, preached by my dad. As I finished the chapter on Rahab, it ended by saying that she is the mother of Boaz, who married Ruth. I had never connected them before.

The sermon on Ruth talked about the faithfulness of Naomi, Ruth and Boaz. Boaz must have been a God-fearing, or at least a law-following man. He kept part of his field for the poor to harvest and he married Ruth, his dead relative's wife. So Boaz was probably raised by parents who were God followers.

Then I read about Rahab and how she was the mother of Boaz. So here is this woman who was "grafted" in to the people of God. She must have given herself fully to the law to raise her son to be the man Boaz.

I think of the girls we hope to help at Courage Homes who have been forced into prostitution. This gives me hope. They could become like Rahab, the mother of Boaz, grafted in to the family of God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't that a wonderful hope?