Thursday, April 7, 2011

Heart Attack

I have been doing the workout by Jillian Michaels lately instead of my P90X. I just finished an hour workout and feel great. I will get back to P90X again because I like the muscle building in it, but it is nice to have a change.

Micah has developed a fear recently. His fear is that I am going to have a heart attack while I am working out. Several people we know have died in the last couple of months from heart attacks, so I think his fear comes from that. So now when I work out he asks me how to do CPR. He wants to be in the same room as I am when I work out so he will see me collapse and be able to revive me. So I tell him how to do CPR because I really don't want to die either.

Micah has a heart valve issue that isn't serious. A few years ago he found out about it while we were at the dentist's office. I am suppose to let the dentist know about the issue so that they can prescribe antibiotics if they think he needs it. I guess one of the complications could be that a virus or bacteria will get into the blood stream and go to his heart. So anyway, he was shocked when I mentioned that he had this issue and became obsessed with talking about it. He calls it his "heart problem".

Today Micah asked me if kids ever have heart attacks. I said that sometimes kids that do hard sports that don't know that they have a heart issue may have heart attacks. But I made sure to tell him that his doctor specifically said that we don't have to worry about this with Micah's valve issue. It will not cause any problems when exercising. So now Micah thinks he can workout as hard as he can without worrying about a heart attack, but everyone else should be careful since they don't know if they have any heart issues.

Why is it that Micah takes after me so much? When I had the gym, I would be waiting for someone to have a heart attack so that I could perform CPR on them. One time a lady had pain in her arm and was very light headed and I was sure she was having a hear attack. I was just rehearsing in my head the correct breaths to chest pumps, preparing for when she collapsed. But she never did. Now, that is what Micah is doing with me.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I don't know how many breaths to give for a hear attack - can you let me know?