Wednesday, July 28, 2010

weaning

It is finally time to start weaning Micah. He is going to be 10 in the Fall. I thought he would wean himself, but that doesn't seem to be working. So I am having to take matters into my own hands. The first step is limiting him to only mornings and nights. We have been doing this for a couple of weeks now and it is going okay. Sometimes he wants the mole during the day and I have to stop him. What? The mole? Oh, you thought I meant breast feeding. No! He was weaned a long time ago from that. But he loves to hold this mole on my neck. It started back when he was a baby and I was nursing him. I guess the mole was something to look at and eventually something to hold. It gave him comfort. When he got older he would run to me whenever he needed a little bit of comfort and he would just give the mole a squeeze. Weird, I know.

Well I thought he would grow out of it in a year or two, but he hasn't. I have been slow at weaning him because I kind of enjoy the closeness. I love feeling his sweet fingers on my neck. But it probably isn't a good idea to let him continue into adulthood.

So we are in the weaning process. If you see Micah looking longingly at my neck, you now know why. It is hard for him, especially now that he is sick with Tonsillitis. He wants to snuggle more and be close. But I am sticking to my guns and not letting him hold the mole. Soon we will stop the morning mole hold time and then the night time. I just hope we always remain snuggly.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I read this out loud to my mom and we laughed our heads off. I'm sure she's jealous she never had a neck mole.