Phone Phobia

Hello. My name is Leslie and I have phone phobia. I looked online and found out that I am not the only person with this phobia and there are others who are much worse off than I am. That makes me feel better. Doesn't help me make a phone call, but it does help me realize that I am not alone. This phobia falls under the list of social anxiety disorders. I don't mind answering the phone, but I hate to have to make a phone call.

Today I am suppose to make two phone calls. I should have made them long before today, but my anxiety gets in the way with that. We want to visit a few people and so I need to set up a time to see them. It is already 11:00am and I haven't done it yet. Well, actually, I just made one phone call and it went fine. But I am having trouble getting myself around to making the other one. I read a few websites on phone phobia and they had some suggestions on what to do to help yourself make a phone call. None of it helped. I just finally did it.

I have had this phobia for as long as I can remember. I fear disturbing people. I think that I will be calling at a bad time. So I NEVER call before or after 9 o'clock. I don't call during dinner time if I can help it. And then there is nap time too.

There are a few people that I can call without much difficulty. My parents and my sister.

I love leaving messages on answering machines of people I know well. I would so much more prefer to leave a message than to get a person on the phone. I love to leave long messages that I think are funny. I hate getting cut off by machines that only give you 10 seconds to leave a message. I usually call back and continue my message.

So there you go. One more interesting fact to know about me. And that is also why you will never get a call from me. It's not that I'm not wanting to talk to you, it is just an anxiety trip for me. So call me.

Comments

Kim said…
I must say, I do love funny messages on my answering machine. How about if my caller ID says it's you, so I don't answer the phone and we get a win-win of a funny message while saving you the anxiety - then I can call you right back. Deal?
Liz said…
I used to hate calling people soooo much; I'd always write out what I was going to say. Not with close friends but especially calling businesses and stuff. It's fine now though.

Popular posts from this blog

Stump

To fear or not to fear, that is the question