Saturday, July 10, 2010

Phone Phobia

Hello. My name is Leslie and I have phone phobia. I looked online and found out that I am not the only person with this phobia and there are others who are much worse off than I am. That makes me feel better. Doesn't help me make a phone call, but it does help me realize that I am not alone. This phobia falls under the list of social anxiety disorders. I don't mind answering the phone, but I hate to have to make a phone call.

Today I am suppose to make two phone calls. I should have made them long before today, but my anxiety gets in the way with that. We want to visit a few people and so I need to set up a time to see them. It is already 11:00am and I haven't done it yet. Well, actually, I just made one phone call and it went fine. But I am having trouble getting myself around to making the other one. I read a few websites on phone phobia and they had some suggestions on what to do to help yourself make a phone call. None of it helped. I just finally did it.

I have had this phobia for as long as I can remember. I fear disturbing people. I think that I will be calling at a bad time. So I NEVER call before or after 9 o'clock. I don't call during dinner time if I can help it. And then there is nap time too.

There are a few people that I can call without much difficulty. My parents and my sister.

I love leaving messages on answering machines of people I know well. I would so much more prefer to leave a message than to get a person on the phone. I love to leave long messages that I think are funny. I hate getting cut off by machines that only give you 10 seconds to leave a message. I usually call back and continue my message.

So there you go. One more interesting fact to know about me. And that is also why you will never get a call from me. It's not that I'm not wanting to talk to you, it is just an anxiety trip for me. So call me.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I must say, I do love funny messages on my answering machine. How about if my caller ID says it's you, so I don't answer the phone and we get a win-win of a funny message while saving you the anxiety - then I can call you right back. Deal?

Liz said...

I used to hate calling people soooo much; I'd always write out what I was going to say. Not with close friends but especially calling businesses and stuff. It's fine now though.