Saturday, July 3, 2010

Feast or Fast

I started reading a new book today about spiritual disciplines. This has been a subject that I keep getting reminded about. So I finally decided to try something. I decided to fast. What should I fast from? Well I was really desiring to have a Dr. Pepper, so I decided to try to fast from that. I had thought of it lots of times before, so today turned out to be the day. It is now 4:30 and I have made it so far so good. Then Steve's mom walked in the door and said, "I bought you something." And she held up a six pack of Dr. Pepper. I know I don't have to drink it today, but it sure is tempting me. I tell myself that I should drink it to be polite. Or that I fasted long enough. I could just make it a half day fast. Blah blah blah. My mind is amazing. It knows all the tricks in the book. So I don't know if I will make it or not, but I am working on controlling my will and my desires. It is hard to focus on prayer when my mind is wandering towards Dr. Pepper.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Did you make it? I think the idea of a fast, is when you think of the Dr. Pepper, you pray instead - say for girls trafficked. If you think about Dr. Pepper a lot, then the girls get a lot of prayer. Good thing to pick :).