Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My gym job

I have been working at a gym for a month now, teaching aerobics. I go three times a week. This is an upscale gym, for people with lots of money. I think members have to pay 4000/- per month. Plus if they want to do aerobics it is an extra 2000/-. The deal is that I will get half of what they pay for aerobics. So 1000/- per person, per month.

So the month is up so I thought I should get paid. I waited a few days to see if the owner would approach me. Nope. So I called him. I said, "So, when do you want to pay me?" His response, "When the month is up." Me, "The month is up." So he hemmed and hawed and said one lady has just paid a couple of days back and another just paid on the 20th. I asked to meet him in person the next day (which was today). He said he would be there at 11:30. Well I was there at 11:30 until 12:15 and he wasn't there. So he just called me. We will meet on Friday.

I really hate getting taken advantage of. I'm sure everyone feels the same way. And I feel this is one of those situations. For my month of work I will be lucky to walk away with 1000/-.

I know I need to work more on my confrontation skills. I can see what I should have done and said in the beginning. But I am just to nice. I hate that. And now I have to wait one more day before I can quit. I was already to quit today but the dude wasn't there. Things like this will keep coming up in my life until I learn how to deal with confrontation head on. Until then I am just frustrated. How long do I have to live in this country before I learn the ways of the Indians?

2 comments:

Troy and Kimberly said...

Ah, but what are the ways of the Indians? . . . Indirect? I am so direct,I kept trying to learn how to be indirect (it was like trying to turn my skin color purple). Am still trying to learn, as Troy says I have asburgers - I just say whatever I think. And, I am more tactful than my mother (hard to believe). Anyway, I would quit too - but then again, I often wanted to quit India too.

Growin' With It said...

i think you need to start a new tradition...getting paid UP FRONT!