Thursday, March 12, 2009

Man on the Street

This morning as I walked to a friend's house for chai, I passed a man on the street. He is always there. Today he seemed to be squatting, maybe going to the bathroom, so I didn't look at him. I just walked by. Then he said something to me. I didn't understand or look his way, but it was probably him asking for help (money or food). I kept walking. I thought to myself, "What would Jesus do if he was walking along like I was?" I doubt he would keep walking.

Every day I can be faced with a poor person who needs help. Many of them actually. The presswali (lady who irons clothes) comes to the house and always asks for things. Right now her grown son is sick. He has been sick for over a month. I will probably help her with some money for medicine. But she also wants shoes. She asks me if I have gone to the market to buy her shoes yet. She will look around our house and see lots of shoes or our laundry hanging and she will ask if I have anything to give her. I don't like her constantly asking for something. She told me that her granddaughter would like some nail polish. I gave her some a few years ago so now she wants more. The more I give, the more she asks.

Coming home from my friend's house I met another lady that I know. She has asked me in the past for work. I don't have any work for her. But she asked me again.

So today I am thinking about the Good Samaritan story in the Bible. How am I suppose to help all these people with their genuine needs? What would God have me to do? I don't have an answer right now. It is just so overwelming. And once I give I will become "the person who gives, so keep asking." And I really get irritated when people won't stop asking.

1 comment:

Growin' With It said...

sounds like a VERY tough spot leslie. i'm anxious to hear what you learn!