Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Lessons with Robert Downy Jr.

Yesterday I stumbled upon the awkward interview that Robert Downey Jr. had with a British news reporter.  The interview was suppose to be about a recent movie he is in, but the news reporter turned the questions to focus on Robert's struggles with addiction.  Finally Robert just stood up and said, "good-bye."

In an interview with someone else, this awkward interview was discussed.  What Robert said is that he only regrets he didn't walk out sooner.  He said he has struggled with boundaries his whole life and was disappointed that again he let someone cross a boundary line.

I can relate, as I am sure many people can.  I sit still when my insides are telling me to move and I end up regretting my inaction because I experience unnecessary pain.  Anyone watching the first interview can clearly see Robert's pain buttons being pushed and it was beginning to surface.  He was fidgeting, looking around for help, and confused as to what was happening.  His eyes were even moist.  I wondered why the reporter was continuing when there was obvious discomfort.

Then I thought of myself.  I remembered a time when I walked out.  I kicked myself for not walking out sooner.  My boundaries were being crossed and I was trying to stop it politely, but it wasn't stopping.  I was experiencing pain and it should have been obvious.  Nothing good came from me sitting there longer.

Like Robert Downey Jr. learned, I am learning, it is okay to walk out.  And the person I am with can't always see my discomfort or knows to stop what they are doing, so don't rely on them.  It is up to me to listen to my heart and protect my boundaries.  The warning signs are there for a purpose.

For more on Boundaries read this book  Boundaries by Henry Cloud

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yes. I had to read that book, too. I've had to remind myself that not only is it unhealthy for myself to let others transgress my boundaries, it's also unhealthy for them. It's kindest to everyone to learn to keep boundaries. But hard!