Thursday, May 9, 2013

Trauma Therapy

I don't quite know what I should do for my therapy sessions in dealing with trauma, but for starters I will blog about it.  I don't have normal trauma.  My trauma comes from being empathetic to others.  Or from letting my thoughts go wild.

The other day I was just reading the newspaper when I experience a traumatic event.  Just reading the newspaper!  There are always little squares of Missing Person or Seeking Identification that I for some reason read.  Sometimes I read them because I find it comical how few details they have about a person or how they describe someone.  But that day I saw a disturbing picture.  It was a picture of a dead body that they were looking for identification.  The thing is it was a newborn baby and the head was missing.  There is no way to identify it because I am sure the mother just left it on a pathway after giving birth.  But to see that poor baby all sprawled out naked and thinking about the value of life made me sick.  Why do the newspapers post things like that?  Why do people kill their babies?  It just really disturbed me.

And then a totally different area that I think traumatizes me is walking in front of the security guards at the metro stations.  They hold their rifles out, often just resting them on the sandbags.  I can't help imagining the gun going off while I walk in front of it.  I always speed up my step.

And of course, thinking about the stories of the girls who come to our aftercare home is probably traumatizing me in a way.  The things this girls go through is horrific.  And knowing that most of the people are still free, walking around, abusing others is not a comforting thought.  I want to see justice done.

So if anyone has some good advice for me I am listening

No comments: