Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Man Vs. Food

Micah and I just finished watching an episode of Man Vs. Food. It was one where the guy went to Idaho and ate a 4 and a half pound burger, a plate of chili fries, and a 16oz. milkshake. If he could eat it in 30 minutes, he would win a guitar.

I have seen this show a couple of times and each time I have the same reaction. I am disgusted! I seriously hate the fact that American restaurants even make food like that. Huger than any one person needs to eat. Not only is it so unhealthy but it also is a slap in the face to the hunger in the world. I hate seeing food being wasted, and one person eating all that food is a waste.

So why do I watch it? Well, partly it is because I miss American food, like hamburgers. And then partly it makes me thankful I am here and not around such gluttony. I see people without enough food and it makes me thankful for what I have. I also have compassion and will give our left-overs away from a restaurant, even though it would make a great second meal. So the next time my you go to a restaurant, my dear American friends, remember that there are many people in need and maybe take a to-go box for the guy standing on the side of the street.

1 comment:

Susannah Forshey said...

I'm a new reader of your blog: your Mom & Dad know me from Sojourn here in Olympia. I'm an avid blogger, myself. I've just been stalking you for the last hour, reading some past posts. ;) Hope that's ok. I was wondering: can we satisfy some of your American food cravings? What could we send?

Sincerely,
Susi-