Monday, May 9, 2011

Freezing

When I was a child, we lived in Oregon and often drove to Eastern Washington for Christmas at my grandparents' house. We made the trek in our old, white van. It was kind of a camper van. It had two seats in front, with the motor cover in the middle that we could sit on. And it had a sink. And a bed. We would put in folding lawn chairs to have two more seats.

On this particular Christmas trip, the van didn't have any heat. We usually started our trip out at 4 or 5 in the morning, when it is already cold. We would go in our pajamas and rest on the bed for a few hours. Well since we didn't have heat, we took our thick sleeping bags and bundled up for the trip. My dad wore his ski mobile outfit. My sister and I and our mom huddled together for most of the trip.

Who in their right mind drives 8 hours in the freezing Northwest without a heater? Well I guess our family did.

And now I find that I wish I was in that van right now, driving through the freezing Northwest. I would be happy to snuggle up in a sleeping bag with my sister and know that my parents knew what they were doing and we weren't going to die. OK, mostly I just wish I was freezing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

W had a heater. It just didn't put out much heat