Sunday, May 8, 2011

Moms

I have four moms! I started out with one. I never dreamed of having four. But God must of known that it would take four moms to help raise me. My mom did the hard part of getting me to adulthood. Then I guess I really needed some work. So God saw that it was best to spread out the job to 3 more ladies. My mother in-laws took turns at speaking into my life in their own ways. And now I am what I am because of these moms. (so don't blame me)

Anyway, I have three mother in-laws. Life is funny. My first mother in-law is Steve's birth mom. She has always been a part of his life of course, but he hasn't always lived with her. Second comes my ex step mother in-law, but I prefer to drop the first part and just say mother in-law. She did a lot of the hard years of raising a boy. She probably had the hardest work of all three. And thirdly, my step mother in-law, or momette (I pretend that is French). She became part of the family a year or two before me, so she got the easiest job of raising a grown son.

I am a ten year mom now. I remember that first Mother's Day. We had only been in India for a couple of weeks and it was very hot and dirty. Micah was a bad sleeper, so we were all tired. All I wanted for Mother's Day was to be left alone so I could sleep. But Steve wanted to celebrate my first Mother's Day. He wrote me a nice card and we went to church. I was miserable. What a horrible mother I thought I was because I just wanted some time away from my kid on Mother's Day. But I don't feel that anymore. I realize I was overly tired and very much in culture shock and probably heat stroke. I love Micah very much and I love spending time with him. I also love sleeping and not being interrupted. I'm glad we are through those first years and on to the more sane years.

Mom's do a lot and their job never ends. From the first moment that you know you are pregnant you are a mom. You realize that a life is dependent on you. It is a huge responsibility. And when you get your kid raised it still isn't over. You end up paying for them whenever they come to visit. You worry about them. You miss them. You can't believe how short the time was. You never stop being a mother.

So thanks to all my mothers for the jobs you have done! This is how life goes. On and on it goes. Until one day we all end up as orphans.

No comments: