Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Shorts

Delhi is changing. When we first came to India in 2001, I wore the typical Indian clothes, the sarwar kameez. So did everyone else. I wore it to be sensitive to the culture. I still have some sarwars, but I don't wear them often. I only wear them when I go to places that haven't modernized. I have a few friends who live places like that.

Our old neighborhood knew me as the gym owner and I wore workout clothes a lot. I was coming and going to the gym. I got comfortable wearing t-shirts and sweats (which is my Oregon choice of wear). But the neighborhood was still on the verge of changing from the old way to the new way. You would see a few young college girls wearing western clothes and it was a shock to see a girl in shorts or a dress.

Our new neighborhood is more modern. I would say it is less muslim, which may go hand in hand. Anyway, last night I saw two ladies wearing shorts. And one was a pair of short shorts. Both had been out exercising. But it is still shocking and amazing. So now I feel I have the freedom to wear my long shorts that go below my knees.

As a city changes it brings a lot of growing pains. One such growing pain with shorts is that men are still seeing skin as a sexual excitement. I don't know if women are wearing shorts or dresses as a turn on for men, or if it is comfort. When a lady walks by wearing shorts, the men turn their heads and stare. I'm not sure that added attention is good. And I am still trying to figure out if my long shorts are okay or if I am an old woman who should wear the old clothes.

2 comments:

Kim said...

You're only as old as you think you are - I think you should pull out your Daisy Dukes. The men just stare for the same reason we do, shock!

Liz said...

Well they'll stare at you regardless. Might as well give them something to look at.