Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dance Competition Judge

A few days ago I was asked by a lady who use to come to the gym, to be a judge at her school's dance competition. So I agreed to do so. Today was the day. There were only three schools present and it wasn't dance, it was aerobics. There were other competitions as well. Indians like to honor the special guests with lots of flowery talk. So each judge was introduced. All the other judges were men who were heads of departments at different universities. About me it was said that I had my BE (Bachelor of Education) and an aerobic certificate from America. Both of those are not true. And it was said that I am an aerobic instructor now. That is true.

So I sat for an hour as different teachers spoke their appreciation for all who had come. Then finally the competition began. On the stage was first the group singing competition. Three school groups sang loudly to Hindi songs accompanied by accordion and tabla (Indian drum). Very long songs. And finally it was the aerobics.

When I arrived at the school I was given the judges folder to keep score in. The schools were listed by code names so that I wouldn't show partiality. But the teacher who asked me to come told me that her school was the third one and the students were the best. She also described their outfits so I would be sure to know which one was their school. And finally, just to make sure I understood, she said, "Do good to our school." Hmmmm. Luckily their school was in fact the best and I could honestly score them the highest.

After the aerobics the judges were treated to coffee and snacks back in the teachers lounge. About 15 minutes later we went back to the stage and the awards were given out. For each subject of competition the honorable judge was asked to come forward, was thanked again, and then the winners were announced. Shockingly, the school that my friend works at received first place in all but one of the competitions. Students came on stage and pictures were taken. Finally we stood for the school song and the national anthem.

I had taken a cycle rickshaw to the school, but since I was an honorable judge I couldn't be seen taking a cycle home. So instead I got to ride in the school van. I was given a small gift and the event was over.

I know this seems like a bit long for a post, but it seemed like a long event for me too.

1 comment:

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

I'm surprised the men were allowed to judge the competition. Aren't they more private? Or were the girls fully covered?