Monday, November 10, 2008

Butter Ball Baby

Yesterday I was visiting Khushboo who is spending a few days at her family's house. Since none of her sisters are married yet, I get to answer her "personal" questions about marriage. So we sat and talked about what is normal.
I encouraged her to keep taking the vitamins I gave her so that when she gets pregnant the baby will be healthy. She asked if that meant the baby would be big and she would need a c-section. I told her what the different vitamins would help with, especially folic acid. Before she got married she said she would prefer to wait a few years before having a baby, but now she is anxious to be pregnant. I asked her if her husband wanted a baby soon. She said it wasn't him, but his family. She lives with the extended family so she daily interacts with the mom, sister in-law, and granny. Khushboo said that almost daily the mother in-law asks if she has any "good news" to tell them. Meaning, "Are you pregnant?" And the granny tells her how she hopes to see a baby before she dies. So now Khushboo wants to get pregnant.

Khushboo asked me a strange question. She said she had heard that when it is time for the baby to be due that the mother should eat lots of butter. That way the delivery will be easy. Meaning that the baby will slip out because of all the butter. I laughed and said that it wasn't true. When we eat butter it gets digested. She told me that her sister in-law ate lots of butter and when the baby came out it had butter on it's head.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Oh my, what a comment. It sounds like my mom. When she had a heart attack, she said it happened because she had eaten potato soup that day and the soup had thickened her blood so much that her heart couldn't pump it.