Sunday, October 6, 2013

Hospital Stay

We had a very short stay in the hospital when Steve had his low platelets.  I think around 4 hours in one and one hour in the second hospital.  The first hospital had lots of people in it.  It was very busy.  I suspect there were mostly Dengue cases, but there was also a fractured leg that came in and a guy with his stomach so bloated that his belly button was sticking out.  I thought he might pop.

Steve didn't like being in the hospital.  The bed was very uncomfortable and they hooked him up to an IV, which made him have to go to the toilet more then normal, which is already about every 30 minutes.  That means I had to find a nurse to come unhook him and then when he came back I had to find one to hook him back up.  There wasn't a chair for me to sit on and if I sat on the bed he said it was going to fall, so I had to stand.  I stood next to the garbage cans so each time the nurse brought some dirty gauze, I had to step aside to let them toss it in the garbage.

Steve got hungry while he laid there so I went to the Subway in the hospital, which happens to be the slowest Subway restaurant I have been to.  There was only one sandwich being made before me but it took FOREVER.

After a few hours, Steve got tired of laying in bed, so he got up.  I was tired, so I laid in the bed for a bit. 

I'm so glad he didn't have to stay in the hospital because, selfishly, I would have been exhausted taking care of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking care of me sweet heart. I know it wasn't easy but it means a lot to me that you did it. I love you!