Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pizza Delivery

Two days ago we ordered pizza for dinner.  It is probably a weekly occurrence.  I like to order online so I don't have to chance getting a person who can't understand me on the phone.

Steve answered the door when the pizza arrived.  The pizza man pointed to a lady laying on the ground at the base of the stairs outside our apartment.  She had fallen.  Steve said to me, "Someone has fallen!"  My first thought was that someone fell down the air shaft or the empty elevator shaft.  But as I walked out I saw the lady, face down, with her feet still on the stairs.  She wasn't moving and we didn't know how long she had been there.

The neighbors also came to their door since the pizza man rang their bell first.  So we all rushed out to check on this lady.  The poor pizza man was shocked also.  He didn't know what to do with the pizzas in his arms.  No one was offering to take them and hand him the money because we were too busy trying to help this lady.    I got water that the neighbor sprinkled on her face trying to revive her.  Steve said, "I don't think she is breathing."  So I came rushing to see if I would finally get to use my CPR training.  I got a 100% on the first aid training test two years ago and was anxious to use it.  But I took her pulse and found that she was alive (thankfully).  She started to make small movements in her face so I figured she was breathing.  It was decided to move her to the couch.  I know you shouldn't move a person until they are evaluated for neck or back injuries, but I wasn't in charge of her care, so she was moved.  Steve carried her in since he is so strong.

As the lady laid on our couch, the neighbor went up to find her husband.  We continued to put a cold cloth on her forehead and try to rouse her.  The husband and a brother in-law came in and sat her up and patted her hand and cheek.  Her head flopped back on the couch.  Steve offered to drive her to a hospital but the husband said he would do it.  We encouraged him to let her lay for a while before taking her home.  But probably it was less then 10 minutes before he flopped her over his shoulder like a bag of potatoes and carried her upstairs.

I don't know if they took her to the hospital or not.  We prayed for Aesha and prayed for wisdom.  I plan to go up and ask how she is doing today so that I can sleep at night.  Otherwise I just lie in bed wondering what happened to her and if we did the right thing.  And now every time I open the door, I look on the ground where she was laying and picture her there.  I try not to look out the peephole every time I hear what could be someone falling.  And I am thankful we ordered pizza so we could find her and help her there.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Such a crazy story. I hope she's alright!