Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Good Intentions

Today during the devotion time at work we looked at the story of when the Ark of God was being brought back to Israel.  1 Chron. 13.  And if you remember, the bulls stumbled and a man put his hand out to steady the Ark and God got angry and killed him.  We looked back at the instructions that God gave regarding the handling of the Ark and saw that God specifically stated that if someone touched the Ark they would be killed.  Even if they looked at it they would die.  So really, it shouldn't be too surprising that this happened, just as God warned.  But in our minds we see it as such a small act.  And act done with completely good intentions.

I started to think about the whole gay marriage thing going on in America right now.  There are many Christians who strongly feel that gays should be allowed to get married.  They feel that God wants us to love and accept all people (I feel that way too) and by not allowing them to get married we are judging them.  Good intentions.  But if we look at God's instructions we would read that He is clearly against gay relationships.  He loves and accepts all people.  He gives instructions for our well being or because He is Holy.

It is easy to point fingers at areas in life that I already follow but others don't.  However, today I am thinking about myself and the areas of my life that don't follow God's instructions.  Do I keep the Sabbath?  I don't keep it according to the Law.  But I do know that God gave us that law for our good and for his holiness.  He wants us to rest.  He also wants us to keep it holy.  I'm not use to really focusing on the sabbath and what I should do on that day, but I want to follow all that God wants me to do, so I should at least look into it and see what it God has to say about it.  Even though we are not under the Jewish Law, I believe it was given to help us live lives pleasing to God and for our benefit. 


1 comment:

Don said...

Well said, Leslie. I argue against gay marriage because I believe it will be detrimental to our society. But I struggle with being loving to people as you do.