Saturday, January 5, 2013

Electrical

I now know the smell of melting wires.  Kind of a fish smell.  I don't think I ever had a plug or wall socket melt in America, but for some reason I have had several incidents here just in the last couple of months.

Today the electrician came to change the plug and the wall socket.  I had smelled the wire burning when we turned on the hot water heater but we needed hot water so we used it a little more then we should have.  But finally we decided it would be safer to not use it.  The electrician pulled out the wall socket and showed me how it was melted and burnt.  And then the plug of the water heater also was burnt.  So both had to be changed.

Why is it that wall sockets melt here?  What is different?  Why does it happen so often?  Why do all our houses have bad wiring?  Don't the electricians care about the work they do? 

No comments: