Thursday, January 3, 2013

Difficult Name

My name can be difficult for many people.  Young kids struggle with it.  Asians struggle with it.  Africans struggle with it.  And even Americans have struggled.  I don't know how many times I have been called Lisa, even by a cousin.  Even a man named Leslie looked at my nametag and called me Lisa.  For many Asians, the L and R are hard to say, so I become Resrie.  On the phone when I am asked by name by the Dominoes Pizza people, I just tell them my name is Laxmi, a name they will know.  But at the hospital the other day, I had a confusing conversation.

When I tried to give blood, but couldn't (see post below), they looked at the form that I handed them and tried to say my name.  The problem is that the person who wrote my name down wrote it wrong to begin with.  Even though I spelled it out for them, they got it wrong.  Instead of Leslie, I had become Oeslie.  So the lady at the blood place didn't know how to pronounce it.  She tried, and I corrected her, saying that it is Leslie.  She asked, "Nasreen?"  I said, "No, that is the patient's name, my name is Leslie."  She said, "You both are named Nasreen?"  "No, my name is Leslie."  She looked at the form and tried to figure it out, but then moved on to the next question, leaving it Oeslie on the form.

I should have gone with Laxmi.  Maybe they would have taken my blood then.

No comments: