Thursday, May 10, 2012

Carpooling

I get to sometimes take a shared auto to the metro station.  I know I have talked about them before and I still don't have a picture, but here is more thoughts on the shared autos.

I realized yesterday that the seats are about the right size for 4 normal (small) Indians to fit on, or maybe 3 average Americans.  However, they are not made for three Indians and one American.  My sitter is just too big.  If I am the last one on the seat I end up with just one of my cheeks fitting on the actual seat and the other is hanging mid-air and a bit on the person next to me, which is usually a male.  I have to support myself on my one cheek so as not to burden the person next to me with me sitting on their lap.  It is quite uncomfortable and my legs usually are shaking by the time we arrive.

It is really weird to get so close to complete strangers.  Then we all stare at each other for about 15 minutes.  Now we are all sweating and can't even move our arms to fan ourselves.   We ride along, bumping down the street, holding on for dear life.  Usually I have to unwedge myself to get out at my stop on the way home.  My rear most likely seems big as I squeeze out of the crowd and jump down.

Oh the joys of shared autos.

No comments: