Saturday, May 26, 2012

America the.....fat?

I had this problem a few years ago when we visited America too.  I see too many fat people.  We are in Southern California.  Arrived yesterday.  Usually the people here don't seem fat to me.  I always have pictured people here to be athletic and thin.  You know, the kind who wear bikinis and actually look good. Well this time it is different.  Everywhere I look I see fat people.  We were at a mexican restaurant yesterday and there was a buffet lunch (I didn't choose buffet).  The other customers just seemed big to me.  Maybe it is that I am use to the Indian build, thin shoulders, small bodies.  Then today we were out again and the people at Old Navy were all this weird apple shape.  The legs were fine but the bellies were so big.

I realize it is rude to talk about people this way.  It isn't that I think I am better than anyone else because I am thinner then them.  I don't think I am thin myself, just thinner then some.  But it is just weird.  Why do so many people get so big?  Why is our nation so obese?  And why aren't Indians fat?  The food we eat there isn't necessarily healthy.  There is a lot of starch and oil in the diet.  But we don't eat fast food much at all, or large Cokes.

Speaking of fast food and Cokes.... today we started off with a donut and a Mr. Pibb.  Then we had lunch at In N Out.  Finally we ate Wheat Thins.  Hmmmm.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Every time I come home I feel like I do a study of why people are fat. Now I am doing a stud of why kids are fat - at Jia's school they only offer for hot lunch pizza, Carl's Junior, and Taco Bell as options. All the junior high kids in her school are fat. I saw one girl with her ziplock bag full of at least 5 Oreo cookies. When parents weren't this fat as kids, don't they notice that their kids are fat? How don't they hear all the stats on obesity on the news, especially childhood obesity. I don't get it either.

Liz said...

It is actually weird, I notice this just crossing the border. Sorry to say it but America is a lot fatter than Canada. We also don't have such huge serving sizes so that probably helps.

Patricia Link said...

Hmmmm...Tim Tebow wrote a book titled Through My Eyes. Uplifting observations through some eyes are preferable.