Sunday, February 19, 2012

Street Dogs

I think that the Indian street dogs are the toughest around. They seem to be able to survive the strangest ailments.

A few years ago there was a dog that snuck into our house while I was picking Micah up from the bus in front of our house. He saw it go in thankfully. The silly dog went into the bathroom and laid down. I couldn't get him to move. I tried pizza and yelling at him to leave, but he just wouldn't. So I went to the neighbor's house and told them that I had a dog that wouldn't leave. They stopped a guy on the street to have this guy help get the dog out. There was a door from the bathroom outside, so it really wasn't a hard walk for the dog, but he just didn't want to go out. So this man had to beat the dog with a stick. There was blood in my bathroom from the dog. I know the dog already had a bloody ear when he came in, but I imagine he got more wounds from the beating.

Well a couple of days later, this same dog came walking down the street. His head wound had gotten worse. It was now a gaping hole in his head. I think I could even see some brain. And as the dog walked by, there was a horrible smell. How could a dog walk around with a serious head injury? I would think it would just go die somewhere (and not in my bathroom).

On our street now, there is a street dog that is missing a leg. Not sure if it was born that way or not. It kind of looks like he lost it some how. But I wonder how a street dog can survive losing a leg. No one takes them to a vet when they get sick. But he is fine and gets along without any problems.

And there are now a bunch of puppies down the street from us. There were 8 to begin with, but I think there are less now. Some looked so weak when I first saw them that I don't doubt that they died. I saw people feeding them. I even brought yogurt to them one day. The ones I see around now are looking pretty healthy. I hope someone adopts them. But if not, they will most likely survive and join the rest of the street dogs.

1 comment:

Liz said...

My favourite Indian street dog was "Chucky," that one with the crazy underbite. I wonder if he's still around.