Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jean Shopping - Mission Impossible

I have been tired of my old clothes for some time now and needing to get fresh things to wear. I go to the American Women's Thrift Store occasionally and try to find things there, but lately there has been nothing. I get a shirt or two now and then, but not pants. So today I decided that since I was going to the mall to meet a friend, I might as well go early and try to find some pants.

Clothing in India is made differently than clothing for Americans. Indians are so much skinnier and just built differently than I am. I knew that it was going to be a challenge to find pants, but I didn't know it would be impossible.

First I went to the cheap store at the mall. I looked at the jeans section, which were a bit pricey for me, but there was a sale going on. I tried on several pairs that wouldn't go up pass my thighs. I left that section and walked the rest of the store. Tried on a few more pants that didn't fit and went back to the jeans. I asked a lady for help. She found one pair of jeans that were boot cut and I was able to pull them up, but the waist was 3 sizes too big. She didn't have any other boot cut jeans for me to try so I left.

Second, I went to every other store in the mall. Levi Store, Colors of Benneton, Mango, Zara, even Pepe Jeans. Not a single pair for me. I ended my search at Esprit and the sales lady asked to help me. I told her I was looking for fat jeans, not skinny jeans. She walked away. I said, "You don't have fat jeans?" She just shook her head. So I walked out and went to the coffee shop to drown my sorrows (and meet my friend).

After my coffee date I had renewed hope that I could try to look for jeans again. This time I went to the next mall over. I went in the Mark and Spencers store, no luck. How many pairs of jeans can I get stuck on my thighs? I walked out of there and bought a pair of shoes instead of jeans. At least I had something to take home.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I thought I might get a deal at Levi's in India - had the same experience trying on their clothes and you're a lot smaller than me. Do you have a favorite brand and size here? I could buy you a pair and send them over.

Liz said...

I know, jeans in India are SO small! I bought a pair of Levis that are bigger than my regular size and they barely fit and now I can't fit them at all. I don't get it though; it's not like there are no curvy Indian women.