Sunday, December 12, 2010

Precious Turtles


My mom sent me a package a while ago that was just food. Packaged food items like mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and a box of Turtle Cookies. We have friends visiting so I thought I would make the cookies to eat with them. So I got out my oven for the first time since we moved here in September. It is a small toaster sized oven that fits nicely under our cupboard.

I followed the directions to the best of my ability and made a nice smear of cookies. They are suppose to be bar cookies. First is a layer of cookie goop and then some carmel and then another layer of goop. I got it all together and went to put it in the little oven. But the pan wouldn't fit. It was just a bit too big for the over. Well layered cookie bars are hard to transfer to a new pan, so that process ruined the lovely layered effect.

So I scooped out the goop and put it in a bread pan. The bread pan only fit half of what the original pan held so I decided to make two pans full. I cooked it for the specified time but it was still gloopy. We ate it like that in bowls. The second batch I decided not to check on until a good 5 minutes over the specified time, because I get impatient and take things out before they are ready. So this time the whole batch of gloop burnt. I just left it in the bread pan over night and thought I would deal with it today. Bad idea. I am sure it would have come out of the pan easier when it was warm. Today I have had to chisel it away and double boil it and try numerous ways of heating up the pan. I finally got some chunks out and fed it to the boys in our house. One of them took a bite and made a noise and headed to the garbage to toss the cookie bar away. It hit the garbage bucket with a thud.

So now you know why I don't take the oven out of the cupboard very often. My precious box of turtle cookie bars was ruined by our stupid oven. How do they expect me to work in these conditions.

1 comment:

jessica said...

one time I was helping our landlady make a cake. I followed the directions to the letter. I even checked that the pan would fit. I didn't think to ask if the temperature gauge worked...everything burnt and only after we finished did she inform me "oh I wonder if it burns because the over temperature is set really high? the gauge doesn't work so I always just guess"