Thursday, June 24, 2010

Grandpa

My grandpa will be 93 years old next month. One thing that I like about being in America is that I get to see him. He still makes me smile. Now he is in an assisted living home. My mom works at the home a couple of days out of the month. But she visits him regularly. She does his laundry, shopping, doctor's appointments, etc. She and my dad have done so much for my grandpa. What a great example of honoring your parents.

My mom and I visited grandpa yesterday. He usually has a puzzle on the table that he works on for a little bit each day. I put a few pieces in. And he always tells me to get in the second drawer down and get a breakfast bar. He gets one or two a day and never eats them. So he saves them to give to his visitors. So grandpa was eating his lunch in his room while we visited and he wanted me to eat a breakfast bar. And he wanted me to take another one for later. Then he said, "Take two. You don't want that one to get lonely."

So we were talking about bananas. He gets a banana or two every day. He tells the nurse that his banana will be lonely unless he has another one. So some of the nurses bring two bananas automatically now. Then he said, "I don't really like bananas." I thought that was really funny. I think he is trying to get his money's worth out of the home. Or maybe he just wants to give them all to my mom as a way to pay her for her kindness. When I am 93 years old I hope I am just like him.

No comments: