Monday, March 29, 2010

Under Stress

A few years ago we took a type of personality test that explains how you act under stress. Yesterday I was reminded of that test. I didn't realize so much that I am stressing out about moving and leaving for the States, but then I did something totally out of my normal character.

Steve, Micah and I were walking to get a rickshaw in our neighborhood, when a big vehicle, like an SUV, came down the street. The streets here are not made for big cars and it is just a recent phenomenom to have them. Well he came roaring down the street and honking at the car going too slow in front of him. That made me irritated so I turned and glared. We continued on.

Then we got to the front of our neighborhood and I hear the thing coming again. It roars around a corner and a taxi is turning so they come face to face with each other. From my perspective it seems the taxi had the right away, but the big guy wouldn't budge, so the taxi had to back up. But behind the taxi were more cars so it wasn't easy. Whereas the big guy could have backed up, no problem. Well something inside of me popped and I turned around and my hand shot up in the air. Luckily all my fingers went up instead of just the middle one. Then, out of my mouth came words that I couldn't stop in time. Thankfully only I heard them and not Steve or Micah. And it was then that I realized I knew the people in the big car.

I was shocked at myself. But thankfully the lady who owns the car wasn't in it. It was just the driver and the college aged son. So I called my friend and told her that her driver needs to drive better in the neighborhood. She thanked me for letting her know. I just hope they couldn't read my lips and were more focused on the taxi then the crazy white woman.

2 comments:

linda said...

So how exactly did that test tell you that you act under stress? Bad words and hand signals? I laughed so hard that tears came out reading this, imagining you and your cute family on the street... then I started for real crying. When I get stessed I cry. :) Hang in there - I'm praying for you.

Heather Bhuwania said...

I've had some flip-out moments in India, too. Gave a lecture to a doctor once (not a nice one), and fussed at a rickshaw driver in Hindi for trying to rip me off. Wasn't proud of either instance, but both were genuine reactions to frustrating situations.

Glad you'll get a break for a bit.