Friday, March 26, 2010

The Truth Hurts

At a wedding last year, I was mingling (something I am very awkward at) with the ladies and met a new lady who lived in Nizamuddin East (the neighborhood next to ours). We were talking about what we do and I mentioned "You know the gym in Nizamuddin West? That is my gym."

Sometimes things you say are misunderstood and sometimes Indians say rude things. I'm not sure if she thought I was saying that the gym is "mine" as in "I go to it." Or if she understood that I was saying that I am the owner of the gym. Anyway, she said, "Oh yes, I know the gym. I went there once but it wasn't very good."

I went ahead and told her that I own the gym, even though it was awkward. She didn't seem surprised or embarrassed. So I assume she was trying to be rude. I mean, even if it is true, you don't say some things.

No comments: