Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Burma and Back

Today (my 39th birthday) Micah and I went to Burma. We had to leave Thailand to get a new visa for Thailand, so we went to Burma, also called Myanmar. It was a four hour drive. We went by tour van. It was a very quiet trip. Micah and I whispered to each other, listened to music, ate chips, and just sat there. The driver had the longest fingernails that I have seen on a man. Very nice hands.

Burma is kind of like India. At least the one block that we saw. It is like a market in Delhi. There were even more beggars there than there are in Thailand. We bought a few movies there since they were really cheap. Then we crossed the border back to Thailand and rode another four hours back to Chiang Mai.

We got dropped off at a gas station and our friend was going to pick us up there, but he was busy at the time. So I said, "no problem we will just take a tuk-tuk or sung tow." Easier said then done. We walked and walked and couldn't find one. Finally a traffic cop helped us. He couldn't understand the name of the road I was saying. I said, "May Rim" and he heard "Mariam". So it took a while to find someone who could understand me and help me get the right directions. The police man called a motorcycle for us. So Micah and I got to ride without helmets on the back of a stranger's bike. It was fun.

So now we are back at our friend's house. Steve left this morning for India. We will be here at least another week. I wonder what other adventures we will get to go on.

No comments: