Sunday, November 29, 2009

Contentment again


I just listened to another sermon on contentment. It was very "American". I really hate it when people say, "Look at what you have. You are blessed." Yes, we have food, clothing and a place to live. I know I am blessed. But it is not the things that I have that let me know I am blessed, it is knowing that God loves me and cares for me.

Anyway, I understand that the preacher is trying to help people to be thankful for what they have so that they will quit coveting what others have. Like I said before, I don't find myself coveting things, but I do covet what other people have. Like their position, their importance, their life. And that is why I want to learn about contentment. So I look at what I have and realize that I have a good life. That doesn't stop me from coveting. But when I can see God in what I have and see my life through His eyes, then I'm content.

Godliness with contentment is great gain.

2 comments:

Liz said...

That's a good point. When Paul says he's learned the secret of being content in every situation, it's not based on what he has. Contentment obviously has a deeper source than that. To me, it seems perfectly reasonable that people who are flooded with material possessions are still discontented if they're spiritually starved.

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

I also have a pet peeve with saying "I was really blessed" when it was a good year financially or in reference to having lots of stuff. I think blessing is beyond and sometimes even opposite of plenty of money because that money allows us to become more independent from God, dependent on ourselves, rather than being in the true perfect position of waiting for Him to provide.