Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beggars and me

In Delhi there are a lot of beggars and very poor people. The other day, two ladies came to the door to ask for money because someone was getting married. I said "no." They then asked for clothes and food. I still said "no." And yesterday there was a man outside on the street who was wailing loudly as a way to show he was in need. I didn't go out.

I posted a comment on Facebook about the guy outside crying and wasn't surprised to get a response about how I should go out and help him. I ask myself that. I play the scenarios through in my head. Whatever I give isn't enough. He will still continue to beg and have barely enough to live on. Beggars and the poor are all around me. Whenever we drive the streets of Delhi we see them on the street or side of the road. Skinny women and children holding small babies with an empty bottle, asking for money for milk. But they aren't buying milk. It is just a tactic to get money. Or a father holding a small, sickly child with a prescription from a doctor. He is asking for money to buy medicine for the child, so he says.

God hasn't given me the power to heal anyone yet. I would love it if he would. I give clothes to people, sometimes food and money too. But it is never enough. There are always more people and more needs. It is overwhelming. Sometimes I have to turn the other way. Sometimes I have a smile to give and nothing else. But what does that do?

I know I have a lot of material possessions and money. I have never gone hungry more than one meal. But am I blessed more than them?

1 comment:

Troy and Kimberly said...

Ah, the forever struggle of staring poverty in the face and being haunted by Christ saying, "I asked for water and you didn't give me any, etc." Yet, how do we do that in India? I don't think there is a right answer, except to have a right answer that allows your heart to grow cold and no longer wrestle with the issue. Ultimately, can we bring part of God's hands and feet that will bring justice and mercy to the poor and oppressed of India?