Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kissy Cringe

It happened again! The awkward cheek kissy. Yuck! I am still cringing.

I went to the house where our Bible study is, to drop off some books. The British guy whose house it is came to the door. I handed him the books and then leaned forward to initiate the cheek kiss. I have been proud of myself for being prepared and not being so awkward with the greetings during Bible study. But now I am feeling weird. We did the kissy thing on one cheek and then the second cheek. Now I am wondering if it was too forward of me or if it would seem forward. Usually it is only one kiss I think so why was there two this time? What does two mean? I didn't initiate the second one, he did. I'm still shaking off the cringes. What should I do? Why am I so awkward?

On the drive home I had to remind myself which side of the street we drive on here (left). There was a scooter on the right going my direction and a car coming down the middle towards me. It took me a second to figure out if I was on the correct side of the street. This kissy stuff just really messes me up.

2 comments:

Growin' With It said...

gives new meaning to "greet one another with a kiss"...bwhaha. u had to know that was coming, right?

i say stick that sweet hand of yours out there RIGHT away and let him adjust to your cultural greeting. which will probably NOT make him walk away feeling uncomfortable. well, unless he tries to kiss your hand or something!

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

Oh man, each time you blog about this "kissy" situation I get nervous myself. My personal space is just so... personal. Plus if you add a beautiful British accent, it'd be hard for me to remember we're just kissing as a formality.

I agree with "growin'" introduce him to the wonderful American handshake. I feel better just thinking about that solution.