Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Little Bit of Anger

I don't often get angry.  And when I do, it isn't like a huge explosion or anything.

Yesterday I had a small anger outburst.  I am not proud of this.  I feel ashamed and a bit foolish.  I'm sure the situation would have been better dealt with in a calm and humble attitude better.

In the afternoon, after I worked out, I took a shower.  As soon as I got in, the doorbell rang.  Micah answered it, without opening the screen door.  There were three men who spoke to him in Hindi, which he doesn't understand.  So he came to my bathroom door and told me that three guys were at the door and something about electricity.  I told him to tell them to come back in 15 minutes.  He went to tell them and then he came back and said that they told him "no".  Soon the power went off.

I hurried my shower and got dressed and went to the door in a bad mood.  You see, I had time to brew while I showered.  They came back to the door and said we hadn't paid our bill for the past two months so they were turning our power off.  They wanted me to show them the bills.  I don't deal with the bills, so I called Steve.  I told the guys to wait 5 minutes and I closed the door on them.

Steve ran home from the skate park and they again told him how he hadn't paid the bill.  He showed them that he had paid through a local store that pays bills for you.  That receipt wasn't good enough so they wanted us to pay a fine.  And they were saying that they waited an hour and were not happy about that.  Well, that did it.  When I heard that I got mad.  How dare they lie!  I started to boil over.  I went out and said a bit in Hindi how they are liars and they only waited 15 minutes.  They laughed at my Hindi.  I felt like calling the police right there and then, but it would take an hour for the police to come so what was the use.  Besides I was suppose to be leaving at that moment.

Steve was not happy either.  I mean, it would be stupid to come on a Saturday evening to turn someone's electricity off when we would have to wait until Monday to deal with it.  Plus they were saying how I didn't open the door.  So Steve had to explain that as a woman, it is dangerous to open the door to men and that he came as fast as he could.

I left for church feeling irritated in them and myself.  I know it wasn't the way for me to act.  I felt justified in the way I acted, but it wasn't right.  So I spent the rest of the night replaying the event and finally when I got home and went to bed I prayed for forgiveness.  I'm forgiven but still a bit irritated in myself.  And I am still irritated in them.

No comments: