Wednesday, September 11, 2013

She Didn't Take Her Teddy Bear

This week has been difficult.  At the home I work at there has been a lot of stress.  One girl has been especially difficult to have in the home.  She causes fights and irritates people with her behavior.  She doesn’t do what she is told to do and  is unruly.  Over the weekend she started self harming and talking about suicide.  So it was decided that the best option for her would be some serious mental evaluation at a mental hospital for children. 

She said she wanted to leave the home.  She wanted to return to her village or go to another home.  She was very upset.  We got the permission we needed to take her in for observation and told her that the following day she could go.  We didn’t tell her where she would be going, but she seemed happy about it.

Finally the time came for her to leave.  She put on some nice clothes and the care givers packed up her few items.  But she said she didn’t want to take anything.  I sat there and watched as they put her items in a bag to take anyway.  I asked her, “Are you going?”  And she burst into tears and buried her head into my lap.  I put my arm around her and just sat there while she bawled and said she didn’t want to go.  I held up her teddy bear and asked if she wanted to take it, but she refused.

After she left I looked at the teddy bear and just started to cry.  I felt so sad for this small girl.  She is really all alone in the world.  No one was even looking for her.  And even though this may be the best thing for her, it felt like another rejection on her life.  So I cried.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Big sad sigh!

Susi said...

Poor girl.. For such as these Christ died.