Thursday, September 19, 2013

Just Listen

Last week I felt like I had a lot to say but for some reason I couldn't get it all out.  Finally I talked with a counselor that comes to the home I work at and she listened to me.  As I reflected on my time with her, I realized that she didn't offer advice, she only listened.  She just sat there while I went on and on talking about what was going on and how I was doing.  She might have asked a question or two, but mostly I just talked.  I got to the end of all my talking and said, "Well, that's it.  I guess I will go get the next person who is going to meet with you."

For several days I thought about feeling not listened to.  It really started to irritate me.  So much so that I even snapped at Steve when I was talking and he started talking and I felt I wanted to talk more.  A normal conversation has two or more people talking, but I didn't want a normal conversation.  I wanted a one sided conversation.  It wasn't Steve's fault of course.  He didn't know that I wanted the floor for my solo act.

I guess that is why I talk to counselors.  I just wish I didn't have to pay them to listen to me.