Monday, March 25, 2013

Team Player

I am not a team player.  At least that is what one of my job performance reviewers said.  I guess it is true.  I can be a team player at times, but really I work better alone.  Is it a negative quality?  I felt like the reviewer thought it was.  But don't we need people who can work well alone?  I am a great team of one player!

Today I was thinking again about not working well as a team.  Our office just got painted and today we had to clean it.  What a mess.  So several of us started cleaning.  But I soon realized that I don't do well with a group of people trying to clean, each their own way.  I cleaned a table off and 10 minutes later one of the other team people cleaned it.  And now, 5 hours later, it is dirty again.  Because after two of us washed the table there was more work going on and things were piled on the table.  So again it became dusty.

If I was working alone on this particular task I think I could finish in record time.  Now it isn't that the team approach is bad, it is just that for me it is chaotic.  The team did a nice job of making the office clean, but they had to do it without me.  I get frustrated.  Because my team approach is like playing solitaire.  It only takes one.  And if too many are playing solitaire then it gets frustrating.

No comments: