Monday, December 12, 2011

Opposites Attract

Steve and I are opposites. I am still amazed at this fact after 16 years of marriage. Take the other day. We were in the Bangkok airport, walking to the taxi area. We had just gotten of the plane and gone through baggage and we were heading to the taxi. We had to go up two floors to the drop-off area, where it is 50 baht cheaper to get a taxi. Steve was talking about this "diamond" that he found on the plane. He thought maybe it was the lady in front of him. But then he lost sight of her. So he was wondering if he should search for her. I had my mind set on going straight to the taxi area. So I was leading the way.

We got to the escalators, where there were two options. One is the stair kind and one is for luggage carts. One was on our left and the other was on our right. I pointed to the stair one and said, "Should we take this one?" But then I changed my mind in a flash and said, "No, we should just take this one." And I headed up the cart one. Steve was already on the stair one, while Micah, our friend, and I went up the cart one. The stair one went up two floors. The cart one went up one and then you had to get on another one. So when we arrived on the next floor up I noticed that Steve was no where to be seen. I didn't know he went on the other one.

So we stood there waiting for him. I thought maybe he had seen the diamond lady and wanted to return her diamond. So he was probably running around down on the floor below us. We waited. I got irritated. I made comments about frustrations. Waiting more. Finally I decided to go look for him. I went down and looked around for Steve. No Steve. So I came up more frustrated and waited a little more before deciding to look on the floor above us. I went up and looked around and didn't see him there either. But then I saw, out of the corner of my eye, a man pushing a cart at me. And sure enough, it was Steve. He had been up there the whole time, looking around for me.

I felt like saying, "What the hell!!!" But I didn't. So I told Steve how I looked around for him down on the bottom floor and looked around for him on the middle floor. He told me how he was looking around for me on the top floor since that is where we were heading. And of course when I went up and looked around up there, he was out side looking at the taxi area.

And what I kicked myself for not remembering is that I should look in the opposite area from where I think to look, because Steve is always in the opposite area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he must be super-duper excited too