Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Several blog postings

Since we don't have internet access yet, I have to write my blogs and wait to post them. So here are three at a time.


Snack

Around 5PM I got hungry. We aren’t eating for a couple more hours. So I needed a snack. Micah also needed something. So we went into the kitchen to see what we could find. There was alfredo sauce left over from last night that I could have on bread, cereal, or left over okra Indian food. I decided I should eat the Indian food. Micah was about to have cereal when I said I was going to eat the left over Indian food. He said, “Ooooh, me too!” I was a bit surprised. He said he really liked it yesterday. So I heated up two bowls of okra and rice for us and we just finished our snack.


No Water

In our new house we have three bathrooms. They are all shiny, new and clean. The first day we had a plumber come and fix something so that the water pressure would be good. It worked great. I did several loads of wash (I have many more to go). Well for the last two days there hasn’t been any water in two of the bathrooms. One of the bathrooms is the one that has the washing machine in it. So we haven’t been able to use those. The plumber is suppose to return, but hasn’t yet.

It isn’t so bad as long as we have one toilet that flushes. But today that hasn’t been possible either. It seems that the water works in the one bathroom, except for the toilet. I HATE toilets that don’t flush.

Where is that plumber?


Electrician

Yesterday we had the electrician come to hook up our inverter. An inverter is a battery back-up for when the electricity goes out. Ours was going out more than we liked, so it became a priority. The guy came and did his thing and then Steve asked him how much it cost. The guy leaned in close to Steve and said, “Ek hazar.” One thousand rupees! About 5 times what it should cost. Steve got upset. It really is frustrating to get taken advantage of over and over again. So Steve argued with the guy and he came down to seven hundred pretty quickly and then down to 5 hundred. Still more than it should be. Steve tried calling our landlord to talk some sense into the electrician, but there was no answer. Finally, Steve paid the five hundred and erased the guys phone number off our phone, never to use him again. The lesson learned is, ask the price before the work is done.

No comments: