Sunday, March 13, 2011

Japan Earthquake

Like many people, I am still drawn to the news stations to read all I can about the earthquake and tsunami. I hope for good news of survival, but there isn't much. Mostly it is bad. It is heart wrenching to watch the people scream in fear as the tsunami is seen in the distance. Now to hear their stories of watching a loved one get washed away. Or to hear them say that they saw bodies in the water. This would be like the worst horror story to watch. And it is real. No movie could make it look any worse than it really is. I wish I could be there to help dig out whatever could be saved. I wish I could do something to help. And every day there is still so many earthquakes and tsunami warnings for them. How can they begin to clean up when they are afraid to go near the ocean.

I am reminded again of my fears of earthquakes and tsunamis. It will be a battle again when I face the ocean, but I know that I can overcome fear with the knowledge that God is with me.

Psalm 46
1 God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear,
though the earth be removed,
and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 though the waters thereof roar and be troubled,
though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.

No comments: