Sunday, March 20, 2011

Beans

We have 10 visitors staying with us this week. Yes, 10. And most of them are boys. Boys eat a lot. For breakfast I made oatmeal. Then I put out cereal to in case they were still hungry. One kid ate a bowl of oatmeal and then three bowls of cereal. That is when I realized that I was not thinking big enough. I only bought two boxes of cereal.

Tonight they are all out skateboarding so I imagine they will come back hungry. I'm afraid. Really afraid. What am I going to feed them???? I could order food, but I don't have any money until they come back. And then it will take some time for the food to arrive. And that is, if anything is open. Today is a holiday. So what is my back-up plan? Beans. But I hadn't soaked them. I decided all of this at 4:00, so I started soaking them for two hours. Then I through some Indian spices in the pressure cooker and added some onion and garlic and threw in the beans. Now how long do I cook them? I can only figure it is somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes. The only problem with that is that I don't know what time I started cooking them. So now the whistle has blown maybe 10 times and I am wondering when I should let the pressure out to check on the beans.

Again I am reminded why I don't cook. It is hard work. A lot of anxiety builds up inside me like a pressure cooker. I start sweating. I fret. I worry that it won't taste good (which is very possible). And what if it isn't enough? Where is my dear friend Hiroko to feed me without any pressure? Oh well, it will be an adventure to see what I look like when my pressure steams out like the cooker does. Will I make a lot of noise? Will I steam up the whole room? Or will everything turn out perfect? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

1 comment:

Kim said...

My dear friend, we are not that far away - you can always call and ask how to cook things. Maybe your pressure would be less if you planned the menu in the morning . . .