Monday, April 19, 2010

Pet Peeve

I was reminded of another of my many pet peeves while we were on the flight from LAX to Charlotte. I HATE it and it totally STRESSES me out when the plane is going through turbulence and they give the announcement to get in your seat, and then people get up to use the bathroom. Are they morons? Don't they know that we could drop a thousand feet and they will hit their head on the ceiling and die? And it always seems to be the old, feeble people who wobble to the bathroom, only then to be told by the flight attendant that they need to go back to their seat.

On this flight several people got up soon after the turbulence announcement and walked back to the toilet. We were in the last seat so we could hear the flight attendants telling them to go sit back down. People just kept getting up and coming. Finally they quit telling people to sit down and let them use it. It was still pretty bumpy but there was no stopping the people from coming. As each one came past us I couldn't help but mumble to Steve how stupid I thought they were. I would say things like, "Oh Grandma, sit down." or "These people are crazy!" I couldn't watch anymore.

I use to work for Delta and heard lots of stories about turbulence and injuries. I remember a lady died on one flight. I always wear my seat-belt now. And once, when I was in Africa, I got to ride in a small airplane that hit an air-pocket. We dropped several hundred feet in a second. The people in the back screamed. I actually felt safe in a small plane. But in a big plane I feel less in control. So my advice is to always wear the seat-belt and once you start hitting the bumps, stay in your seat.

1 comment:

Don said...

I like the "Oh How He Loves Us" song. We sing it in our chapel services.